How to Be Fuel-Efficient When Driving
If you’re like most San Diego drivers, you’re always looking for new ways to conserve fuel while running your daily errands. Many of the new Mercedes-Benz vehicles are equipped with turbo or biturbo engines, as well as automatic transmissions, and are fuel-efficient by nature. However, the best way to maximum those mpg ratings is to also put fuel-efficient driving habits into practice. Read on for a few great tips on how to be fuel-efficient as you go about your daily drives.
5 Tips for Being a Fuel-Conscious Driver
Whether you’re heading to work in Escondido or hitting the highways for a weekend vacation, you can use the following tips anytime and anywhere to help you make the most of your car’s fuel:
- Accelerate Softly: Press the gas pedal gently; the harder you press the more fuel you use. Accelerate smoothly and take five seconds to bring your vehicle up to 10 mph from a standstill.
- Plan Ahead for Traffic: Sitting and stop-and-go traffic is not only an inefficient use of your fuel, but it can also put mechanical stress on your car’s drivetrain. To avoid rush hour, leave at least 15 minutes early, and try to find a shortcut to reach your destination sans the hassle.
- Avoid High Speeds: Cars use more fuel when traveling at higher speeds. To achieve the best possible fuel economy on the highways, for example, keep your speed between 55 and 65 mph (just make sure you’re following the speed limit).
- Coast to a Stop: Rather than applying your brakes constantly, look at the road ahead. If there’s no one ahead of you and you need to come to a stop, take your foot off the gas pedal and let your car coast to a stop. How can you save fuel while driving on hills? Reduce your speed as you venture uphill, and again, use your car’s forward momentum to coast downhill.
- Use Air Conditioning Sparingly: Using the air conditioning system can increase your car’s fuel usage by up to 20%. When you turn the air conditioning on, use the recirculate function instead of leaving it on full-blast.
Find a Fuel-Efficient Mercedes-Benz for Sale in Escondido!
Are you shopping for a new vehicle that’s as luxurious as it fuel-efficient? Contact us at Mercedes-Benz of Escondido to schedule a test drive near San Marcos. We’ll give you a tour of our most fuel-efficient models, such as the A-Class, C-Class, and GLA, and help you find the right model for your lifestyle. Want more advice for taking care of your car? Refer to our handy service tips hub!