Mercedes-Benz OEM Parts vs. Aftermarket Parts
Your new or pre-owned Mercedes-Benz vehicle is a performance machine, but its capabilities depend largely on the quality of the parts you use. If your vehicle needs a parts replacement, you may be wondering, “What’s the difference between aftermarket and OEM parts?” In every case, it’s best to use OEM parts for your luxury vehicle — but why? Read on to learn more about OEM parts vs. aftermarket parts and where to shop for parts near San Diego!
What Does OEM & Genuine Mean?
Automotive manufacturers have one thing in common across the board: they all emphasize the importance of using parts that were designed for your vehicle, such as genuine parts and OEM parts. What’s the difference?
- OEM Parts: OEM is an acronym for Original Equipment Manufacturer. OEM parts are manufactured by the same company that manufactured the original parts for the automaker. These parts are almost identical to those inside your vehicle.
- Genuine Parts: Compared to OEM parts, genuine parts are similar, aside from the fact that genuine parts show the brand’s emblem.
What Does Aftermarket Mean?
Aftermarket parts are known by a variety of names, such as generic parts, non-OEM parts, and competitive replacement parts. Here’s a quick overview of aftermarket parts and the similarities they share:
- They’re not manufactured by the company that built your vehicle.
- They can be installed in a wide variety of vehicles from all different makes.
- You can find them at any independent auto shop or third-party chain near Escondido.
Aftermarket vs. OEM: The Differences
When you compare aftermarket parts vs. OEM parts, it becomes more and more obvious why manufacturers stress the importance of choosing the best possible parts for your vehicle. Find out how they stack up below:
- Cost: On the whole, aftermarket parts are less expensive than genuine and OEM parts. Of course, lower cost doesn’t always equal better value. In many cases, aftermarket parts manufacturers use lower quality materials to keep production cheap and don’t offer warranty coverage.
- Dependability: Mercedes-Benz and Mercedes-AMG® vehicles are built with exclusive parts and systems that aren’t available from other makes. Using aftermarket parts in one of these vehicles can lead to damage, and if it can be proven that said damage was caused by an inferior part, you may lose your warranty coverage.
- Safety: One of the most common concerns surrounding aftermarket parts is safety. It’s important to remember that while some aftermarket parts are authorized by the Certified Automobile Parts Association, many aren’t. Not to mention, using aftermarket parts in a Mercedes-Benz or Mercedes-AMG® can jeopardize crucial safety systems, such as the brakes.
Shop OEM Mercedes-Benz Parts at Mercedes-Benz of Escondido!
If you’re shopping for Mercedes-Benz parts near San Marcos, Mercedes-Benz of Escondido is your trusted source. Whether you’re shopping for a serpentine belt, floor mats, or AMG® performance parts, our knowledgeable team can point you in the right direction. Contact our parts department with questions or order the parts you need online. Need professional installation service? Our service technicians will take care of it for you!