How to Change the Battery in Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob
Signs Your Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery Requires Replacement
There are multiple warning signs to watch out for if you suspect your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery is on its way out. Learn more, here:
- Have you had any difficulty getting your vehicle to start recently? If it takes several attempts to successfully start, it may be a symptom of a low key fob battery.
- If you’re no longer able to lock/unlock your doors or activate the panic alarm, this might also signal a low battery.
- If your dashboard is illuminating the warning sign for a charging system issue, it may mean you’re losing battery power in your key fob.
If one or more of these warning signs are familiar to you, you’ll want to change the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob to help prevent future issues while you’re navigating Escondido. You’ll find detailed steps on how to do this in the next section.
How to Change the Mercedes-Benz Key Fob Battery
The steps for changing the battery in your Mercedes-Benz key fob are simple and easy to follow along with at home in San Marcos:
- Determine Your Key Fob Classification: Whether you’re using a more recent Chrome SmartKey® or an older version SmartKey® will determine how the batteries need to be changed.
- Find the Proper Batteries: The Chrome SmartKey® requires one CR 2025 battery, and the older SmartKey® requires two CR 2025 batteries.
- New Model Chrome SmartKey®: Pull the tab at the bottom of the fob and remove the cover by pushing the key into the skinnier end of the slot. Then, carefully place the battery inside and replace the cover.
- Older Model SmartKey®: Pull the latch at the end of your key holder, then push your key sideways into the open slot, lifting the old batteries out. Insert two new batteries, then replace the key holder.
Unsure whether you have a newer Chrome SmartKey® or an older SmartKey®? The new Chrome SmartKey® has a metal casing, while the older SmartKey® typically uses a black plastic casing.
Request a Mercedes-Benz Service Cost Estimate at Mercedes-Benz of Escondido
Having trouble replacing your Mercedes-Benz key fob battery on your own? We invite you to schedule an appointment with our service center. Contact us ahead of time with questions or to request a Mercedes-Benz service cost estimate, and be sure to check out our service specials! For even more helpful service tips and tricks, check out our online service info hub.
More from Mercedes-Benz of Escondido
The 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC follows a storied legacy in providing both robust performance and an inviting cabin. Not only is this interior spacious, it also has expertly designed cargo areas that store a lot of material for your road trips outside Escondido. Mercedes-Benz of Escondido covers the Mercedes-Benz GLC dimensions, the Mercedes-Benz GLC cargo space, and more…
San Diego commuters who are searching for a sophisticated and comfortable new sedan need look no further than the 2020 Mercedes-Benz E-Class. “Often imitated, never duplicated” is the perfect phrase to describe the E-Class, which has become the quintessential luxury sedan over the past few decades. What can you look forward to in the new E-Class…
View Sprinter InventoryContact Us Need a cargo van to take your Escondido business to the next level? Whether you’re in delivery, construction, or transportation, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter dimensions are customizable to meet your exact needs. Questions about financing terms for your Mercedes-Benz cargo van? Contact the Mercedes-Benz of Escondido finance center to explore finance options and new…