It can certainly be scary when you’re driving in San Diego and steam starts pouring out from under the hood of your car. Much like when you come out to your car and see that it’s leaking water, what causes your car to overheat is usually something that requires a mechanic. Keep reading to learn more about the answer to “What does it mean when your car overheats?”
What to Do When a Car Overheats
Stay calm! If you’re on the side of the road in Escondido asking what to do when a car overheats, know that you’ve done the right thing by pulling over. This is why it’s important to keep an eye on if your car is leaking any fluids, and to check your warning lights and react immediately by doing these things:
- Turn off the air conditioner, stop immediately, and turn the heat on full blast to remove heat from the engine block.
- When it’s safe to do so, pull over and turn off your car. Wait at least 30 minutes to pop the hood to avoid burns.
- Call Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance. Our service technicians will be able to answer, “Why is my car overheating?”
What Not to Do When a Car Overheats
- Don’t panic! You can’t find out what causes a car to overheat if you’re not thinking clearly.
- Don’t keep driving! Pull over to a safe spot because no matter the reasons a car would overheat, you can cause permanent damage if you continue driving.
- Don’t immediately open the hood or attempt to remove the radiator cap! Even though you’re anxious to find out why my car is overheating, let a professional remove the radiator cap.
- Don’t drive after your car has cooled down. It’s much safer to have it towed.
- Even if you know what to do when a car overheats, don’t try to fix it yourself unless you’re a mechanic.
Reasons a Car Would Overheat
What does it mean when your car overheats? Here’s a list of things that are reasons why a car would overheat:
- Leaking Cooling System
- Coolant/Antifreeze Hose Blockage
- Improper Coolant Mixture
- Radiator Issues
- Broken Water Pump
Learn How to Maintain Your Car with Mercedes-Benz of Escondido
Now that you know what to do when a car overheats in San Marcos, learn more about how to maintain your car with the Mercedes-Benz of Escondido service department’s online service tips and tricks, which includes info on checking coolant levels and brake fluid, what timing belts do, how to react to a shaking car, and more!