You may think sedans are four-door vehicles while coupes are two-door vehicles — and sometimes that is the case, but it’s not what formally separates a coupe from a sedan. In fact, a sedan actually can have just two doors and a coupe technically could have four. For Escondido drivers that want to get to the bottom of what really defines this distinction, read on below.
The Difference Between a Coupe and Sedan
The difference between a coupe and a sedan truly comes down to size, though there are a few other ways to make deciphering a coupe vs. sedan an easier call.
- Interior Size: According to the Society of Automotive Engineers, a coupe is a vehicle with an interior size less than 33 cubic feet, while a sedan’s interior is greater than 33 cubic feet.
- Door Count: Interior size is the main determining factor, so you’ll most often you’ll find that a coupe has two doors and a sedan has four doors.
- Exterior Style: A coupe has quite a sporty look, in part because its typical two-door style makes for lengthier doors and sleek windows with a sloping rear roofline. That doesn’t mean a sedan can’t be sporty too, but their common 4-door configuration makes for a more functional-looking profile.
- Performance: Coupes get that sports car reputation because their compact weight and size attribute to their higher performance. Sedans, though larger, often offer engine and suspension upgrades and varying trims levels that can provide superior performance as well.
- Cargo Space: Sedans are generally designed with four doors and measure over that distinguishing interior volume of over 33 cubic feet. For that reason, San Diego drivers will typically find much more cargo space (and passenger space) in a sedan.
Sedan vs. Coupe: Which is Right For Me
If you need size for transporting passengers, equipment, pets, etc., you should opt for the roomier sedan. If you’re looking for sportier handling and performance that will turn heads on the streets of Escondido, a coupe is calling your name. It’s important to note that you can typically expect to only fit two passengers who travel lightly in a coupe. This is important to keep that in mind if you’re looking for a more family-oriented vehicle.
Size Up a Coupe vs. Sedan at Mercedes-Benz of Escondido
Now that you’ve read about the differences between coupes and sedans, are you ready to experience them? Contact us at Mercedes-Benz of Escondido today, where our expert staff would be happy to help set you up with a test drive to feel what sets a coupe and sedan apart. If you’re interested in browsing our impressive inventory of new vehicles, stop in today. To learn more about your Mercedes-Benz vehicle options before you get behind the wheel, consult our online information hub where you’ll find features on Mercedes-Benz BlueTEC® diesel technology, the owners of Mercedes-Benz, and more!