San Diego Mercedes-Benz drivers often ask us, “When do I change spark plugs?” Experts typically recommend replacing them every 30,000 miles, although that distance interval can fluctuate depending on the model you drive. Read your owner’s manual for more information on spark plug replacement, or consult our team of certified technicians at Mercedes-Benz of Escondido. Meanwhile, read on to learn more about how often to change spark plugs and why it’s necessary.
Signs Your Car’s Spark Plugs Need to Be Replaced
Your car can’t start without working spark plugs. Spark plugs transfer a high-voltage current from the ignition coil, igniting the combustion chamber when you start the engine. If your car’s spark plugs need to be replaced, chances are you’ll notice right away. Here are a few red flags that your spark plugs are worn:
- Engine is slow to start or doesn’t start
- Engine misfires
- Engine is running rougher than normal
- Idling is rough
- Acceleration is slower
- Fuel usage is higher
Why is Spark Plug Replacement Important?
Changing your car’s spark plugs routinely can help you avoid some of the above-mentioned car troubles, but it doesn’t end there. There are even more benefits to making spark plug replacement part of your preventative maintenance schedule for your new or pre-owned Mercedes-Benz:
- Enhanced Fuel Economy – When you have a worn spark plug, you may see a fuel economy reduction of up to 30%. Simply changing the bad spark plug can help get that percentage back.
- Functioning Combustion System – When your car’s spark plugs are operating normally, chances are so is its combustion system.
- Effortless Startups – Have you been experiencing any of the engine problems listed above, such as rough idling or misfiring? If the spark plugs are the cause, once you replace them, you’ll notice improvement right away.
- Emissions Control – Regular spark plug checks and replacements can help reduce air pollution.
Rely on Mercedes-Benz of Escondido for Mercedes-Benz Service
Do you have more questions about how often to change spark plugs or is your vehicle due for service? Schedule a service appointment near Escondido and San Marcos, and our friendly team of factory-trained technicians will handle it for you. We can also answer any other service-related questions you may have, such as, “Why is my car leaking water,” or “How much is a transmission?” Need tips on changing a Mercedes-Benz key fob battery? We’ve got you covered there, too! Take a few minutes before scheduling to browse our current service specials for coupons on auto repairs and maintenances you need!