How To Clean Car Floor Mats
If you’re looking to spruce up your car at home, floor mats easily build up dust and dirt that can spread through the rest of your interior. Your service tip of the day is how to clean floor mats, and we’ll tell you what supplies you need and walk you through the entire process.
- Rubber Floor Mats: Vacuum, rubber floor mat cleanser, stiff bristle brush, hose or bucket of water, microfiber towel or a place to hang your mats
- Carpet Floor Mats: Vacuum, carpet floor mat cleaner, brush, hose or bucket of water, wet vac if available, or a place to hang your mats
How to Clean Rubber Floor Mats
- Take the mats outside of your vehicle to not spread dirt around or damage your seats in your new Mercedes-Benz.
- Shake out the mats until everything that can easily dislodge comes off.
- Rinse the mats with clean water, but no cleaning products yet.
- After the water rinse, apply a cleanser designed for rubber mats and gently scrub with a stiff bristle brush to remove additional grime and debris.
- Rinse the mats again with clean water.
- Hang up to dry or dry with a microfiber towel. The mats need to be dry before they go back into the vehicle or this can lead to mold and mildew.
How to Clean Carpet Floor Mats
- Remove the floor mats from your vehicle.
- You can be a bit more aggressive with carpet mats, so give them a good thwack to dislodge dirt.
- Afterwards you can use a normal home vacuum cleaner to suck up unseen dirt.
- For a deeper carpet clean, use a cleaner designed for carpet floor mats and follow the specific cleaner’s directions.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- If you have access to a wet vac, try vacuuming your floor mats again for an extra clean and to speed up drying.
- Hang your mats to dry before replacing in your vehicle.
Need Help Cleaning Your Floor Mats?
For car cleaning supplies recommended for your vehicle, visit the Mercedes-Benz of Escondido service center or order anything you need online. We’re always happy to clean and detail your vehicle too.